- FIRST STOP: History comes alive at the ancient Temple of Dimitra in Sagri Village, dating to 530 BC and dedicated to the goddess of agriculture. Built on the edge of a fertile Naxian valley, as the first Greek temple ever constructed entirely of marble (its roof as well), it’s of even greater historical importance (TUESDAY CLOSED).
- SECOND STOP: Generations’ old, family-owned pottery workshop in Damalas Village, where you’ll learn all about pottery making and witness its creation first hand.
- THIRD STOP: Enchanting Chalki Village, where after a pleasant stroll, you’ll visit the hundred-year-old family distillery which continues to produce Naxos’ well-known KITRON liqueur to this day.
- FOURTH STOP: The traditional and picturesque, marble mountain village of Apeiranthos is next, where you’ll enjoy sauntering along its winding paths, soaking in its charm. The views from nearby Stavros will offer you the island’s unique, simultaneous view of both its east and west coasts.
- FIFTH STOP: Historic Koronos Village, once world-famous for its abundantly productive, highest quality, emery mines. At this traditional mountain village, you’ll savor a fresh and delicious homemade lunch at a characteristic, family-owned tavern. The meal is prepared almost exclusively from the family’s own homegrown, raised and produced products. And virtually ten steps from your table you can drink from a mountain spring!
- SIXTH STOP: Follow a narrow paved trail by foot to discover the Kouros of Melanes at Flerio Village. Charmingly located in a local Naxian family’s garden, this ancient unfinished statue dates to around 550 BC. Next view the famous marble quarries and visit an authentic marble factory.
- SEVENTH STOP: Delightful Eggares Village, where you’ll visit a renovated family-owned olive press. Watch how this “liquid gold” was once painstakingly prepared, as well as sample delectable olive oil products including baked goods.
End your entertaining and informative day as you wind along Naxos’ scenic roads on the way back to your hotel.